Sunday 28 July 2013

When in Rome

So I have been on contiki for just over a week now and it has been insanely busy. We have seen so much in so little time! We started in London, followed by Paris, Switzerland and Nice, France.

Last night we arrived in the capital of Italy, Roma! We settled into our hotel (which so far has been the best.. including a shower bigger than a 30x30cm square and aircon!). We did a night wander around the roman piazzas running into famous architecture such as the Fontana di Trevi and the Pantheon. Both breathtakingly big and beautiful! I made my wishes by throwing a euro into the Trevi. Hope they come true!


Today, we did the imperial tour of the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. I think the first time I heard about this Roman amphitheatre was in year 1 reception Italian class. It was absolutely unreal! It is very easy to picture the gladiators back in their day when you step into this place! Parts of the colosseum have been restored in brick which makes it easy to distinguish between the brick and original limestone.
Note to self. Do not wear havianas in the Colosseum! Today one of them broke on the uneven floors! My contiki friend  Bobby (who we gave the name Roberto!) fixed it temporarily with my bobby pin! When this solution failed another contiki friend Ethan piggy-backed me towards the metro with our group. Nicole used a lighter to melt the bottom plug and this lasted me until I found a cheap pair in one of the many souvinear shops that line the streets. One thing about contiki is you make friends really quickly. They all look out for you and always make sure you don't get left behind :)

After the colosseum we visited the Roman Forum. Very little was left of the buildings and it was interesting to see Ceasar's grave. The ruins are amazing to see and they are a great reminder of the roman times.

After our tour we went to the Royal Art Cafe Restaurant. It had great views not limited to the colosseum ;) I ordered Ricotta Ravioli in a Truffle Cream Sauce. Ahhh-mazing. I now have an obsession with this sauce previously unknown to me before Europe! 
 
After lunch we trekked through the heat towards the Spanish Steps. Not as big as I imagined them to be but nevertheless beautiful. 
After being up all day we headed back to the piazza and revisited a fantastic gelateria called San Crispino. They sell gelato made from all natural flavours. Zabaione and Nocciola (hazelnut) were to die. 

After contiki ends we head back to Rome for two days and I couldn't be happier knowing Rome isn't over for me yet. 

Time for a quick nap and off we go to dinner to eat more Italian food (as if we haven't overloaded already!) Arrivaderci!

Via Porzia
Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment